Take Our Free Gut Health Quiz!
Ritual Synbiotic+ Review
The following is a summary of a number of online reviews and company information about Synbiotic+ by Ritual that has been used to improve gut and digestive health. There is information about the product as well as the links to the online sites that talk about the supplement in their reviews. The Synbiotic+ can be purchased from the Ritual website and Amazon.
Who is Ritual?
Established in 2016, Ritual is a US-based supplement brand offering prenatal vitamins, multivitamins, protein powders and other supplements. According to the company website, the concept of Ritual was born when its current CEO, Katerina Schneider, was pregnant. During that time, she had a hard time finding a prenatal vitamin without “questionable ingredients,” so she decided to build her own company. Ritual is a Certified B corporation, which indicates that it’s committed to being accountable to all stakeholders (including consumers), exhibiting transparency and demonstrating high social and environmental performance. That is significant because Ritual touts its transparency and social responsibility by reporting ingredients, supply chains and certifying partners on its website. They use the trademarked term Traceable® to designate this high degree of transparency.
What is Ritual Synbiotic+?
Synbiotic+ is a three-in-one supplement from Ritual featuring prebiotics, probiotics and postbiotics designed to support gut health and immune health. Here is a quick summary of prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics:
- Prebiotics are foods (typically high-fiber foods) that act as food for human gut microbes. They are used with the intention of improving the balance of these microorganisms.
- Probiotics are foods or supplements that contain live microorganisms intended to maintain or improve the “good” bacteria in the body.
- Postbiotics are bioactive products that primarily consist of the waste products left from prebiotics and probiotics. Examples of postbiotics include the short-chain fatty acids butyric acid (or butyrate), acetic acid (or acetate) and propionic acid (or propionate). They offer various health benefits, similar to probiotics.
The brand includes the most clinically studied probiotic strains, and each ingredient can be traced back to the supplier for full transparency. The formula focuses on the quality rather than the number of CFUs (colony forming units). The ingredients in Synbiotic+ are in a delayed-release capsule that keeps the nutrients in their intended form until they arrive in the digestive tract for optimal absorption. In fact, Ritual partnered with ProDigest in Belgium to conduct an in vitro study to measure the physiological impact of Synbiotic+. The study found that Synbiotic+ significantly increased the production of butyrate, microbial diversity and the growth of beneficial bacteria .
What are the Claimed Benefits of Ritual Synbiotic+?
According to the Ritual website these are the claimed benefits of the probiotic strains used in Synbiotic+ based on scientific studies:
– Supports a Balanced Gut Microbiome
- The prebiotics are designed to target undesirable bacteria in the gut and support the growth of beneficial gut bacteria.
– Bloat Support
- Probiotic strains LGG® & BB-12® support relief of occasional discomforts such as mild and occasional bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
- – Supports Gut Barrier Function
- The postbiotic provides fuel to the cells that make up the gut lining and supports gut barrier function.
- – Immune Support
- Probiotics help support immune health. It’s estimated that 70% of the immune system is located in the gut.
Ritual Synbiotic+ Pros
- Shelf stable at room temperature
- Novel capsule that allows more probiotic to survive
- Ingredients are vegan and free of gluten and major allergens
- Science supported probiotic strains
- Third-party tested
- Great educational resources
- Socially and environmentally conscious
- Details on the ingredients’ source and supplier
Ritual Synbiotic+ Cons
- Some adverse effects reported upon initial use
- Not FDA approved
- Price may be prohibitive to some people
- Only monthly subscription, no one-time purchase
Ritual Synbiotic+ is a product that gets very favorable independent customer reviews because it demonstrates results. Maybe it can be the right complete synbiotic for you. As with any gut health supplement there may be sensitivities that could be triggered and cause GI or other health issues so, we recommend that you consult with a doctor or certified nutritionist before consuming.
 Van de Wiele T, Van den Abbeele P, Ossieur W, et al. The Simulator of the Human Intestinal Microbial Ecosystem (SHIME®) In: Verhoeckx K, Cotter P, López-Expósito I, et al., editors. The Impact of Food Bioactives on Health: in vitro and ex vivo models [Internet]. Cham (CH): Springer; 2015. Chapter 27. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK500150/ doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-16104-4_27