Deciphering medical tests can often be a daunting task for parents. However, knowing how to read your child’s gut health test is essential for understanding their digestive well-being. The test provides valuable insights into the balance of good and bad bacteria, potential intolerances, and overall gut function. With the rise in gut-related issues among children, gaining this knowledge can empower you to make informed dietary and lifestyle choices for your child. Our guide simplifies the process and breaks down the key components of these results, ensuring you have the clarity you need.
Viome’s Gut Intelligence Test offers an in-depth analysis of your child’s gut microbiome. Its primary aim? To guide dietary adjustments and probiotic choices for better gut and overall health. Beyond test recommendations, Viome also proposes probiotic blends, prebiotics, and diverse supplements. Even without taking the test, you can access Viome’s supplement store.
Wondering how to interpret the results? Here’s a step-by-step breakdown.
Viome Gut Health Test: What to Expect
- Timeline: Generally, it takes two to four weeks for results, though mine were ready in just 10 days.
- Notification: Once available, you’ll receive an email alert. Plus, a personalized gut health report is uploaded on Viome’s portal.
- Navigation: Results feature a main page for easy access to different sections. Additionally, a left-panel provides a categorized overview.
Let’s unpack the findings.
Breaking Down the Main Results
- Your Unique Formula: Located prominently on the main page, it spotlights custom nutrient and probiotic blends tailored for gut optimization. Here, every nutrient or probiotic comes with an in-depth description and scientific references, also accessible via the ‘Shop’ tab on the left panel.
- Nutrient Supplement: Lists nutrient amounts and daily capsule recommendations.
- Probiotic/Prebiotic Formula: Displays specific probiotic strains, prebiotic fibers, and the recommended intake.
- Your Health Profile: Positioned top-left, it unveils areas where your gut microbiome falls short.
- Food Suggestions: Based on test outcomes, allergies, and diets, this section offers a robust list of foods to consume or avoid. For a comprehensive understanding, each food item comes with detailed nutritional information and research citations.
Navigating Nutrition Recommendations
- Your Avoid Foods: Foods that may hinder gut health. Recommendations span short (30 days) to longer (6 months) avoidance periods.
- Your Superfoods: These are gut-friendly foods, categorized into veggies, fruits & grains, proteins & fats, and more. For best results, start slow and incorporate up to 10 or more daily.
- Your Nutrition Plan: Daily intake guidelines for recommended superfoods for a thriving gut.
Deciphering Your Health Scores
The bottom half of the main page offers comprehensive health assessments. These scores guide your dietary and supplement advice.
- Gut Health: Considers 20+ sub-scores, gauging aspects from pathogenic gut status to intestinal barrier health.
- Functional Scores: A combination of beneficial and harmful biological activities, illuminating digestive tract efficiency.
- Pathway Activities: A deep dive into biochemical reactions. Understand where your gut excels and areas of improvement.
Overall, Viome’s results presentation impressed me with its thoroughness and scientific foundation. While comprehensive, some terms might appear complex.
It’s essential to remember: Viome’s analysis doesn’t encompass overall health but offers a valuable perspective on your gut microbiome influences. Before significant dietary shifts, consult a doctor or registered dietitian. It’s crucial to recognize that while research on the gut microbiome and probiotics grows, not all claims might be universally supported.
Looking for a comprehensive review of Viome and its Gut Intelligence Test? Check out our detailed article, “Viome: Best At-Home Gut Health & Microbiome Test“.